What is the Oculus Rift?
The Oculus Rift is a helmet or virtual reality glasses patented by the company Facebook Inc. With the purpose of innovating, developing or revolutionizing the market based on technology, specifically in the field of medicine, film, design and the most relevant so far, video games.
It all started in 2012 on the Kickstarter site, this site itself helps you raise funds for a social purpose, a guy named Palmer Luckey had proposed the idea of creating virtual reality glasses. From there the company Facebook Inc. became interested in the idea of this subject and offered him around two billion dollars for the idea. This invention would be the induction to a new technological world experimenting for the first time in the history of humanity that comes being the virtual reality. From then on, the HTC Vive and the Playstation VR were invented, which together with the Oculus Rift have become a sensation in terms of a new technological experience today.
Game categories for Oculus Rift
All VR games
Action and adventure games
Shooters and FPS games
Strategy and skills games
How does the Oculus Rift work?
It is basically divided into three (3) stages for this instrument to perform its functions:
First we have the software that is programmed to activate what would be the functions that the device must process according to the action performed as pressing a button or movement of the glasses.
Next we have the hardware and the circuits that are integrated that work as connectives, these emit and receive information from the human part or from the software itself. Finally the most important, the human part. The brain will be in charge of giving you the experience of virtual reality because its controls the senses and thanks to this we are allowed to act. The 3D system is integrated thanks to the depth that the glasses have, the hearing aids feed back the experience with their surround sound that also has the distinction of distances and locations and finally the Oculus Rift comes integrated with controls for you to experience the sense of touch. These three stages complement each other to offer the virtual reality experience.
Most Popular Games for Oculus Rift
- Robot Recalls: Is a game categorized as action in which you can destroy robots that have an unusual performance in what appears to be a virus. You can shoot with different weapons and you can throw objects that you find on the map and even use these objects as a shield. A fairly complete game in which you can spend hours and hours of pure robotic entertainment.
- Superhot VR: This game is a shooter game that is practically based on controlling the shooter whether it is his movement, shooting, when he has to hide and when he has to recharge. The time will only advance if you move and you are forbidden to run, every enemy that arrives you will have to kill them for your survival either with a firearm or some object that is found by the map and adds a degree of difficulty to know that if you get shot you die. The best virtual reality shooter nowadays.
- Chronos: An adventure game in which you will have to face enemies and puzzles that you will have to solve as you progress in the game. The game of virtual reality adventures that more sensation has been of the moment.
- Thumper: A runner category game in which a cockroach will run at full speed. The role of the player is based on dodging the obstacles that the cockroach encounters and it will become more and more complicated.
- Job Simulator: When it comes to comedy, Job Simulator is the perfect virtual reality game. The theme is that you’re in the year 2050 and artificial intelligences control everything, it’s your chance to show what you’re made of. Besides, you are given to choose 4 different jobs of your liking, a quite entertaining game that can provide hours and hours of fun.
- Wrench: If you like cars and racing and would also like to know more about mechanics and more, Wrench is the perfect game for you. It’s a racing game that also offers more racing options. You’ll have to drive your own car to become the fastest and most skillful behind the wheel, a game highly recommended for those novices in the racing world.
- The Climb: This great game features breathtaking landscapes based on mountain climbing but offers much more than that, a game with very good graphic details.
- Arizona Sunshine: A zombie/gore category game based on the killing of zombies found in the far west. Integrated come various scenarios, in which you can hunt zombies and kill them.
- Football Nation VR Tournament 2018:For all those sports lovers and who are competitive this game is the right one, a virtual reality football game that you’ll think you’re playing for real, a very famous game today and quite entertaining.
Requirements to use the Oculus Rift
In order to use the Oculus Rift at its maximum performance, it is necessary to have state-of-the-art computer equipment, that is to say, with the most optimized software currently available. Here are the recommended and minimum requirements for its use:
Graphics card: NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti / AMD Radeon RX 470 or higher
CPU: Intel i3-6100 / AMD Ryzen 3 1200, FX4350 or higher
Memory: 8GB Ram or more
Video output: Compatible with HDMI 1.3
USB ports: 1 USB 3.0 port plus 2 USB 2.0 ports
Operating system: Windows 8.1 or higher
Graphics card: NVIDIA GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 480 or higher
CPU: Intel i5- 4590 / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or higher
Memory: 8 GB Ram or more
Video output: Compatible with HDMI 1.3
USB ports: 3 USB 3.0 ports plus 1 USB 2.0 port
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit or higher
Create an Oculus account
Once we have done the previous steps and we have installed the app in our device, we proceed to click on the icon of Oculus and login with our Facebook account, if you do not have one, it is necessary to create it. Then we click on “update now”, so that the system can check if there is a software update available.
Calibration of the remote control
We must configure the command for Gear VR, searching and clicking on “integrate” or “pair”, at the same time that we press the main button, ie home, in the control command. Then follow the instructions on the screen to calibrate correctly and choose whether to use it with the right hand or with the left, which can be changed from the configuration in case it is wrong.
Connect and configure Steam VR
For this we must run the Oculus app on our PC and login with our account, then we must look for the button gear / settings / general / unknown sources / activate this box. Then we must minimize the app and open our account from the Steam app, select library / tools / SteamVR and proceed to install and run it. There will appear a button on the top right that says “VR” that you must click.
It can happen that it says “not prepared”, if this happens, we must click on the arrow SteamVR in “run room configuration” and follow the instructions to then install any of the games available from Steam.
Peripherals and external accessories for Oculus Rift
Using the accessories of the same brand of Oculus, guarantees us that without any doubt we will enjoy an outstanding experience at the time of executing games or apps, since these are optimized and therefore they have maximum performance and compatibility at the time of their execution.
Among them we have:
- Oculus Rift Earphones: Which have a great surround sound that allows us to differentiate the locations of both sides, front, rear, bottom and top, in addition to increasing the dynamics when using the virtual reality viewer Oculus.
- Oculus Sensor: This accessory allows us to capture the movements that the body makes, when with the viewfinder it only captures the movements of our head.
- Remote control – Oculus remote: It is used to carry out actions in the games in which buttons must be pressed.
What is the price of Oculus Rift?
Its price depends on the country you are in as there is a different website for each country, so there’s some price variations. And as we know that it is a high-end viewer, to buy it you have to pay a high sum of money, if we compare it with other viewers that are cheaper, but certainly worth every penny you pay for the incredible benefits it offers.